Union Shipbuilding, Baltimore MD

Most recent update: April 5, 2016.


Union Shipbuilding Company was established in 1916 by the Riter-Conley Manufacturing Co. of Pittsburgh, a large industrial steel fabricator: the site was in the Fairfield section of Baltimore, on the west side of the harbor, where in 1913 Ellicott Machine Corp. had opened a yard to build dredge hulls.  Riter-Conley's President, Thomas Riter, died in 1916, however, and the business was sold to McClintic-Marshall Co., who retained ownership until WWII, when it was acquired by the US government and became part of the Bethlehem Fairfield Shipyard.

Hull # O.N. Original Name Original Owner Type GT Delivery Disposition
1 215916 Monongahela Gulf Refining Co. Tank Barge 1,677 Apr-18  
2 216378 Ohio Gulf Refining Co. Tank Barge 1,677 Jun-18  
3 218433 Hermitage Aluminum Co. of America Schooner Barge 2,111 1919  
4 218864 Dykes Aluminum Co. of America Schooner Barge 2,072 Sep-19  
5       Barge   1918  
6       Barge   1918  
7 219874 George B. Mackenzie American Bauxite Co. Cargo Ship 3,212 1919  
8 220320 John R. Gibbons American Bauxite Co. Cargo Ship 3,212 1920 Later Ingerto, captured by Germany 1940, bombed and sunk 1945
9 220261 Winthrop Demerara Bauxite Co. Tug 189 1920 To British Guyana 1923
10       Cargo Ship 7,150   Not built
11       Cargo Ship 7,150   Not built
12       Cargo Ship 7,150   Not built
13       Cargo Ship 7,150   Not built
14 221003 Gulfking Gulf Refining Co. Tanker 6,560 Jan-21  
15 221213 Gulfprince Gulf Refining Co. Tanker 6,560 May-21 Torpedoed and scrapped 1943